Chances are you’re either joining us for the 2019 My Place Hotels Convention, still thinking about it, or will be there with us in spirit. In any case, follow along or join the conversation on social! Now here’s Ngoc Thach with a guide (and then some) to #MyPlaceCon!
We are so excited to see you!
It really is hard to believe how quickly 18 months goes when you’re growing, and perhaps more difficult to fully convey how you’ve grown in that time. Regardless of the time that passes; however, gatherings with our closest friends always bring the opportunity to share our best with each other. Which is what you’ll soon come to find at this My Place function: close friends having a blast and sharing the best of ourselves with each other.
I think Sarah Dinger captured it best in an interview last year when she said, “At My Place, we replace handshakes with hugs.”
While this convention will unite My Place owners, operators, and a wide range of partners, it will also come to resemble a great party with close friends, as it always does.
We’re also very excited to hear from you in real time this year. With live polls, an event app, and #MyPlaceCon connections to explore across multiple platforms, sharing your experience and feedback isn’t only easy, it’s definitely encouraged.
Now that you’re prepared to make connections at convention, onto what we feel is the best My Place Convention setup and agenda yet. Have I mentioned that we can’t wait to welcome you to this iconic space? With Making Waves as the central theme, our Design Team has filled The Hard Rock Hotel San Diego with almost audible art that feels inspired by Lichtenstein and L.L. Cool J. I’m kidding. While we didn’t make reference to Gangster’s Paradise as I had dreamed of, I do think you’ll find the space reflective of the vibrant energy our brand has come to represent.
So back to perhaps the most useful portion of this welcome thought package for #MyPlaceCon: the agenda. With it being our largest convention yet, the content is also considerably more diverse.
In addition to loads of social time and leisurely lunches, the convention features a balanced schedule with a handful of exciting general sessions and quite a few focused breakout sessions on the schedule. If repeat attendees should do anything differently this year, take time to prepare by identifying which of the concurrent breakout sessions are designed for you.
So without further ado, here’s your convention cheat sheet!
- Tuesday is for Catching Up:
- 3:00 Everyone kicks off the festivities together in General Session. Our President/CEO Ryan Rivett will take the stage to share where we’ve been, along with some thoughts on My Place Presently.
- Tip: Gather early to socialize, reconnect, or get some #MyPlaceCon photos at the Step and Repeat! Registration is open Monday and Tuesday if you want to grab badges and bags in advance.
- 4:00 The rest of the party begins on The Woodstock Lawn. It’s a happy, relaxing, and pretty casual occasion.
- What to Expect on Wednesday:
- 7:30 Morning people can make early connections with breakfast and the sponsor exhibit before sessions begin.
- 9:00 The All-Star Panel hosted by Glenn Haussman is kicking off the day, and it’s a can’t-miss discussion with some of our favorite people.
- 10:15 The first breakout session block features a choice between the Extended-Stay Outlook presented by Mark Skinner, a Crisis-Management Workshop, and a session of Secrets to Revenue Management. Really not sure how you’ll choose, but we believe in you.
- 11:15 The second breakout block presents the first of two opportunities to complete the Inhospitable to human trafficking Training, along with an expert Technology talk, and an engaging workshop with National Sales.
- 2:00 Get back at it with a choice to brush up on your Reviews and Reputation, assess your Financial IQ, or hear some new perspectives on Revenue Management.
- 3:00 Prepare to Be More, Do More, Give More with Inky Johnson. Many of us heard Inky’s story for the first time as a team, and it’s already impacted us. We can’t wait to share this inspirational hour with you.
- 4:00 Wednesday will end with one last happy hour before we look to close out #MyPlaceCon in one epic day.
- Thursday is a Big Day:
- 7:30 Breakfast and sponsor exhibit will once again be ruled by early risers.
- 9:00 My Place HQ Leaders along with yours truly will take the stage for an unusual Off The Record session moderated by our EVP/General Counsel, Matt Campbell. Will we surprise you with our candid banter or delight you with our authenticity? I honestly don’t know but we’re kicking off the last day with some coffee and culture in General Session regardless.
- 10:15 The first breakout session gives you a choice between touring the exciting new SynXis Property Hub and a look at My Place’s improvements and the mechanism behind them. If neither of them are up your alley, catch the industry update on Cannabis with Danielle Moore of Fisher Phillips, LLP.
- 11:15 The second block has a selection of important trainings with your last chance to catch BEST’s Inhospitable to Human Trafficking Training. There’s also an insight discussion happening in regards to our game-changing Hotel in a Box concept and as well as a whole session dedicated to channel management.
- 2:00 Post lunch, find your last breakout session of #MyPlaceCon. Choose from a Marketing discussion of cohesive collaboration between sales and revenue management or an informational panel on today’s digital risks. If you’re an owner or manager, you can also Come Clean with QA.
- 3:00 The end of the 2019 My Place Convention may be beginning in General Session, but the celebration is about to pick up. The My Place HQ team will be announcing this year’s winners of the property awards including Top Dollar, Spirit of Hospitality, and of course, the pinnacle–Property of the Year. Ryan will continue the excitement with the last remarks of the day, set to highlight the future of My Place. And in case you’re wondering, this is where there may or may not be some updates you don’t want to miss.
- 6:00 Even after all of the excitement in the final general session of #MyPlaceCon, it won’t be stopping soon. Our Closing Reception is a highlighted event each year, but this one’s bigger in a couple more ways. We’ll begin our last evening together with dinner and entertainment by The Shout House Dueling Pianos! Then our friends at AAHOA, who are hosting the largest hotelier convention in history nearby, and the organization’s Young Professionals are joining the My Place party to celebrate the 30th Anniversary AAHOA Convention and Trade Show.
- TIP: #AAHOACON19 festivities will continue through Saturday, April 27th! Let Staci know if you’re interested in a pass.
- 10:01 After Party??? 🙂
We truly hope you’re excited, because we most certainly are.
Lastly, I’ve had a number of colleagues and friends ask how they can best spend time or add value at the convention, and whether they were an industry expert or team member, my answer has been uncharacteristically consistent. What’s most important is that we persistently remember the key to all opportunities before us. That is, our presence.
So keep in mind that while this is a fantastic opportunity to take Instagram photos (last plug: #MyPlaceCon!), it’s also a fantastic and rare opportunity to connect with each other on the most personal level: in person! Be present with others, prepare to get the most out of the sessions, and share your thoughts throughout the week and beyond.
Fun Fact: I’ve posted to my own Instagram exactly 40 times since this photo was takenin San Antonio.